SC - Re: A question of re-creation

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jul 28 09:36:59 PDT 2000

Greetings.  Jadwiga commented that she was glad she didn't enter
A&S competitions based on what Hauviette reported the judges to
have said.  And I know a number of Fine Folk (Duke Cariadoc/David
Friedman) don't enter them for particular principles.  But, as a
fan of cooking entries in competitions, myself, I become frustrated
when I hear/read comments such as Hauviette's judges gave her.  (I
get more frustrated when I realize I could have been one of the
judges if I had only gone to that competition.  Then, that "illusion
food" comment might not have been made!)

I'm glad you received a "first", Hauviette, and the comments will show
you where to "head them off at the pass" the next time you enter something
like comfits.  For the sugar in the mortar, a bigger sign in front of it.
For the docs, a highlighted comment such as "See mortar next to bowl."
And then the comment about how long it might take to get the quantity of
sugar to the fineness you would need, along with a comment about not
being able to do it (arm strain from wrestling the scullions away from
the roasting chickens...)  Even if you explained it, some won't notice
it.  You may need to make it plainer, highlight it, put it in italics...

(Note aside:  In my very first sugary entry, which included comfits, I
had 9 period sources listed for recipes.  One judge wrote, "You might
have a few more references."  I took it to mean that a) he didn't read
the whole thing and b) I hadn't made it clear enough.  Approach your
explanations as if you were talking to a three-year-old!)

You might check some sources (folk on the list might have some offhand) that
tell what spices were bought for use in noble households.  No, you shouldn't
have been expected to grow your own!  Someone was straining for something
to write, or is unaware of the list of items bought for use by cooks.
This would then make another aside in your docs, if you want.  And you, the
cook, would not have dug and weeded your own patch of garden just to grow
herbs and spices!

Illusion food?  Some folk seem to think that anything with sugar is an
illusion food.  (Who _was_ that masked judge??)  If you have a copy of
your documentation in your computer, I'd love to see it.

Alys Katharine, Sugar R Us