SC - I'm not proud....HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Ratboy kattratt at home.com
Sun Jul 30 06:57:57 PDT 2000

BalthazarBlack at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/29/00 2:30:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> > Okay, so can you give an example of foods that contain gluten and some
> >  that don't? For that matter, wheat contains no gluten unless kneaded
> >  with water
>
> I'm pretty sure the gluten is always present in wheat, but it is "stretched"
> when mixed and kneaded with water...  Could be wrong, though... I'm no
> Wolfgang Puck over here...:)

Best news I've heard yet today! Gluten is a sort of polymer formed by
the mixing of two component proteins (the artists formerly known as
glutein and glutenin; I forget what they're commonly called now). You
knead (I mean, need) the actual, physical motion of mixing for most of
the molecule chains to form.

On the other hand, if those two proteins are the source of problems for
coeliacs (sp?), perhaps one of them is, too, and maybe grains like oats
contain more of one than of the other? In other words, they may not need
to contain gluten, per se, to cause trouble.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com