SC - Florilegium

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Mon Jul 31 11:02:18 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/31/00 10:28:06 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Michael.Macchione at widener.edu writes:

> Now from what they have told me, they judge their competitions solely on
>  taste. So technically, anyone could judge it.  But I still would not feel
>  qualified to judge it.  I mean does the ability to make a good tasting
>  cordial mean I can judge others as well????

Well, if they are judging based solely on taste, why wouldn't you qualify?
You obviously put together a cordial that you enjoy, that others enjoy. You
know what you like when you taste it, and the same would appeal to you in
wines, beers and meads. Perhaps you wouldn't like "every" beer; but if you
like the sweet beers, then why is that wrong? A competition that is based on
"the winner is who I like personally" is not necessarily wrong; it just means
that more individuals have to "like" it for the main factor--taste--rather
than for documentation, period ingredients, etc. It is one catagory to
fail/pass in, rather than have a score based on curve.

Lars