SC - Waffles and Books

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 1 00:50:26 PDT 2000

Rosalyn MacGregor (Pattie Rayl) asked:
> > IIRC, Le Menagier gives several recipes for 'crisps' batter. Waffles,
> > wafers, crisps, whatever you want to call them are very old.
> >
> > Cindy
>
> My question, since I discovered the wonderful news about waffles being
> period, is would it be proper to put waffles on the table at a feast? Did
> waffles get served to nobles?

Well, it may depend on your definition of "waffles", but both sweet and
savory wafers certainly were served to the nobility.

I have not served them for a large feast, but I have served sweet wafers
at a luncheon for the Crown and at pot lucks. If you are not trying to
serve them warm and thus can make them ahead of time, you can probably
do them for a larger feast. The sweet wafers, at least late in period,
seem to be commonly served with hyppocras (the spiced wine).

For more information on wafers take a look at this file in the FOOD-BREADS
section of the Florilegium:
wafers-msg        (46K) 10/ 8/99    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net