SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2409

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 2 18:45:52 PDT 2000

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> * Flower & Rosenbaum,  have substituted cornflour as the thickener of choice
> in this recipe. Although I agree with their substitution, the period
> thickener was amulum, a wheat  or rye starch as corn was not available to the
> Roman table.

The cornflour Barbara Flower and Elizabeth Rosenbaum are referring to is
a starch, which could easily be derived from wheat (I gather British
cooking starch, which Americans call cornstarch and which, here, is made
from maize, is often a wheat product since not a lot of maize grows in
the UK)  which would make it perfectly suitable in recipes calling for amulum.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com