Sahara was Re: RE: SC - Columbus' chilies

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Sun Jul 2 20:00:43 PDT 2000

Unfortunately for the argument, the period when the *Sahara* was not desert
was much further back, before 2000 B.C. By that date it had already dried to
the point that the desert area was much as today (reference John Wright,
*Libya, Chad and the Central Sahara* [Totowa, N.J.: Barnes and Noble, 1989],
pp. 2-3). The area *north* of the Sahara, in North Africa, particularly what
is now Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco, was indeed quite fertile in Roman
times, and a great supplier to grain to Rome, but it is also quite fertile
now (Algeria is major wine producer, for example). But the Sahara desert was
there south of the fertile zone, in Roman times as today.

Francesco Sirene