SC - a very tiny hurray and some questions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 2 22:25:46 PDT 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
> Ok, it may sound silly to you all, but I'm somewhat basking in the glow of
> having finally made armored turnips and had them turn out as good as I
> expected. (I didn't get much of the small pot of them I made: everyone
> else at the dinner gathering scarfed them up.) Howsomever, I gots a few
> questions:
>
> Platina, as far as I recall, calls for 'spices'. I used fresh-grated
> nutmeg, mace, and ground cloves. (Couldn't find the ground cinnamon or the
> peppermill in the spice boxes.) What do you all suggest for the spices?

You might want to check some of the other redactions for armored turnips
that can be found in this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of my files:
turnips-msg       (33K) 12/ 8/99    Turnips in period. Recipes.

I'm not sure why you think your comment would sound silly. I don;t think
it does.

> Furthermore, I want to start trying out mustards. Mustards are nice on
> bread, but better on meat in my opinion... I was wondering about roasted
> beef. I looked through my medieval cookbooks last fall looking for a
> recipe for basic pre-1600 roast beef, but couldn't find one. Suggestions?

For some wonderful sounding mustard recipes, check this file in the
FOOD-CONDIMENTS section of my files:
mustard-msg       (71K)  5/12/00    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.

For some general suggestions on roast beef, and I think, some period recipes,
check this file in the FOOD section:
roast-meats-msg   (49K)  1/28/00    Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.

Mustard can also be good on pork and ham.
roast-pork-msg    (23K)  2/14/00    Cooking pork roasts. Medieval recipes.
ham-msg           (26K)  1/ 4/00    Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net