Subject: SC - Roast beef kinda long

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Tue Jul 4 12:21:37 PDT 2000

owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> Ron Rispoli" <rispoli at gte.net>
>  Subject: SC - Roast beef
>
>  This recipe confused me a bit the title says ribs of beef
>  (Alows de beef or de mutton) but the recipe calls for rump
>  (quyschons).  I'd be interested to hear what others can do with this.
>
>  Take fayre bef of the quyschons, or motoun of  the bottes,& kytte in the
>  maner of stekys:  Than take raw Percely, & Oynonys smal y-scredde,& yolkys
>  of eyroun sothe hard, & Marow or swette, & hew alle thes to-gedder smal;
>  than
>  caste ther-on poudere of gyngere & saffroun,& tolle them to-gederys with
>  thin hond, & lay them on the stekys al a-brode,& caste salt ther-to; then
>  rolle to-gederys, & putte hem on a round spete, & roste hem til they ben
>  y-now: than lay hem in a dysshe, & pore ther-on vynegre & a lityl verious,
&
>  pouder pepir ther-on y-now, & gyngere, & canelle, & a fewe yolkys of hard
>  eyroun y-kremyd ther-on; & serue forth.
>
>  This is from "A Fifteenth Century Cookry Boke" by John L. Anderson

Alunder of Beef
The “main work” herein after referred to is  A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye,
16 Century, edited by Catherine Frances Frere, Cambridge; W. Heffer & Sons
Ltd, 1913

This stuffed beef roll can be found under the guise of “Alowes of
Beef/Mutton” (H.M.279 1420), “Alaunder of Beef” (New Boke of Cokery, 1470)
and in our main work as “To make a pye of Alowes”.
The recipes found involve cutting  steaks of beef or mutton and making a
stuffing that almost invariably contains parsley and thyme, suet or bone
marrow and various spices . The recipe I chose to redact is the one from  our
main work and it is presented here for your viewing.

To Make A Pye of Alowes
Take a legge of mutton and cutte it in thyn slyces, and for stuffing of the
same take perselye, tyme, and sauerye and chop them smal, then temper among
them three or iiij yolckes of harde egges chopt smal and small reysons,
dates cutte with mace, and a lyttle salte, then laye all these in the stekes
and then role them togeather.
This done make your pye, and laye all these therein, then ceason theym wyth a
lyttle suger and cynamon, sauron and salt, then cast upon them the yolckes of
three or foure harde egges and cut dates, wyth small raysynges, so close your
pye, and bake hym.  Then for a syrope for it, take roosted breade, and a
little claret wyne and strayne them thyn togeather, and put thereto a lyttle
suger, synamon and gynger and putte it into your pye and then serve it forthe.

Redacted recipe:
2lb Blade roast sliced into rolls       .25 lb butter
2 c tyme                    .5 c raisins
2c parsley washed, chopped small        .5 tsp mace
1c shredded onion           .25 tsp cinnamon
2 raw eggs              .25 tsp saffron
                    .25 tsp salt
Sauce:
1 cup red wine
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine the stuffing ingredients and fill the roast. Tie the roast into a
roll. Place the roll into an oven-proof dish . Mix the sauce and pour over
the roast. Roast at 325 degrees for 1 hr or until meat thermometer reaches
140 degrees. Baste occasionally. Slice and serve.This recipe has been adapted
for a feast by using larger roasts, however, the original recipe calls for a
smaller steak, stuffed and baked within a pastry pie crust.

Hauviette