SC - Re: Hard Cheese Stefan

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Thu Jul 6 00:20:19 PDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> I did mention this specifically in my post adding however
> that I believe that the Pinguicula (butterworts) were more
> commonly used, not that Drosera wasn't used.

I noted your mention of it, but pointed it out since it is possible that
those who won't concern themselves with systematic names sometimes will
make "mistranslations" of species names, thus making the Drosera sp.
come out as "venus butterfly" ("it looks similar, and is also
carnivorous"). I probably should have made this clear.

> I can't even get locally made cheddar for that low a price.
> Generally, the price of domestic cheese at our large
> supermarkets in my area starts at $5.99 US to $8.99 US.

Due to the wierdness of EU farm subsidies we get cheap French "mass
product" brie, but actually higher (since we joined the EU) prices on
domestic cheeses. The possibility that France is doing
questionable things to support their agriculture is -- of course --
totally inconcievable for those who know anything about French
politics.

> Imports like Brie start at $7.99 US for the cheap stuff.
> More esoteric imported cheeses start at $12.99 US and
> go astronomical quickly.  Consider yourself fortunate.

Gaak! The $8/lb stuff is pretty good, the $13/lb is top of the line
here (and not sold in the regular grocery stores).

BTW, in your original post you mentioned hushållsost (sorry Stefan) and
translated it as farmers cheese. A more litteral translation would be
"household cheese". It is cheep (often less than US$3/lb), and IMNSHO
tasteless crap. Prästost (litt. "priests cheese") is more expensive;
from $4 to $4.50 per pound depending on aging, but a nice cheese.

/UlfR
 who would currently pay US$5.60/gal for gas/petrol if the Land Rover
didn't drink diesel ($4.75/gal) instead; not everything here is cheaper

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
PETA;   People for the Eating of Tasty Animals