SC - Re: Roast beef explanation

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 04:25:32 PDT 2000

owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> Thanks. Yours and Admantinus explanations make it much clearer. Although
>  one thing is still not totally clear. I'd like to know if I'm guessing
>  right, though. You are cutting successive slices from opposite sides of
>  the hunk of beef, right?

Actually, I start on one side and continue to cut  on that same side so that
I can have a "carpet" of meatII'm thinking carpet roll). Imagine a fruit roll
up as a solid piece then taking a knife and cutting into it so that the roll
could begin, you keep cutting until there is no more solid hunk left and it's
all flat. I don't know if that helps or is more confusing! :)

 The cuts would look like:
>  _____________
>  |   |   |   |
>  | | | | | | |
>  | |   |   | |
>  - -------------
>    A       B
>
>  And if you simply stretch out A and B you get the flat piece that
>  you later roll up. Something like:
>
>  - -----^---------^---------^---------
>  |_________^_________^_________^____|
>  A                                  B

That seems to be coming out to the same result, I'm just not sure about the
cutting on both sides thing. I wish I had a digital camera! My husband is
helping to web our household page and I will have several feasts and recipes
webbed as well. Having a digital camera would allow me to post a pictorial.

>  An interesting technique. I've been thinking about trying one of
>  these rolled meat recipes since it was first given on this list
>  several years ago. I remember they did such a dish at a feast I
>  helped prepare recently, but I wasn't watching how they were
>  cutting the meat.

It is alot of fun to do and makes a great roast, very tender and flavourful.

Hope you get to try it out sometime soon.
As a side note, the Amarone must is now in my hot little hands and I will be
reducing it next week. After confering with canning books and the owner of
the vinter's shop (who makes vino cotto- sappa in medieval language) it will
keep "forever". She makes her's to dip biscotti into. I bought clear bottles
so that you can see the final colour better. I'm so excited!!!!!
(Oh, now you know I love to cook when I get excited over reducing juice! :) _)

Hauviette