SC - SC- Kitchin Bitchin'

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 10 20:45:13 PDT 2000

<<<SNIP>>> I do not usually do any precooking and
 prepare everything pretty much from scratch at the event site, so
 there is some lattitude built in. But I am not going to turn my
 kitchen staff into scullery slaves trying to crank out a huge increase
 in the food to be prepared at the last minute. Several weeks notice
 is o.k., if the kitchen (and the staff) is up to it and I can get more
 (dependable) staff to volunteer. My kitchen philosophy is to make
 the onsite feast cooking experience fun for my staff with wine,
 chocolate and other goodies provided by me, with music and with
 impromptu classes in technique or recipe improvisation (like when
 you find out one of your ovens doesn't work).

 Am I being an unreasonable kitchen despot in my expectations???
 Christiana, Di... you have been to my feasts haven't you. I would
 appreciate your two cents as I know you both have run into this
 problem before in your own groups.

 Akim Yaroslavich
 "No glory comes without pain" >>>>>>

I been to that well, and it is a bitter draught.  I have found it possible so far to share hospitality with those imposed on me by the aitocrast who thinks it no real issue to add 25 on Saturday.  I like your idea better of the "stock overflow dinner".  Creative to the point of brilliant. . . perioid, and reasonable for the diners who 'drop in' unannounced (terribly rude manners in some parts of the country), and perioid spread.  Low stress on a precisely managed staff and schedule as well.

I despise the suggestion to 'stretch' the food to feed more, as that is not my idea of hospitality or providing value to paying customers.  I am just now, in the last year or so, to the point where I feel the chutzpah to tell an autocrat he/she is looney for adding more.  I have the pleasure of working for like-minded coordinators who will REQUEST an increase rather than inform me of it.  Not the norm by any means, and truly appreciated when found.  Peace and Heavens Bounty to those who must endure that sort of discourtecy on a regular basis.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo
(who hasn't actually been able to 'win' a bid for an event feast of my own in over three years . . . odd given my results.  Several do come to me when their bid comes in, though <g>!)