SC - Cressee webbed

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 11 18:40:50 PDT 2000

Elysant at aol.com wrote:

> Some time ago (perhaps you have it on the Florithingy?) we did talk about
> when various cheeses (we know about) began to appear...  perhaps if we review
> and expand such a list we can see which candidates of cheese "might" have
> been used in England in the time of the recipe we are talking about, and what
> colour they are in the original countries they were made in rather than what
> you see on the shelves here, as as with poor old Cheddar, the U.S. mass
> manufacturing and marketing guys might have done a number on the cheese in
> question and if that's all we have to look at we might end up with wrong
> assumptions about it - including colour.

A primary candidate might be Rouen, a pale, mild, semi-firm Norman
cheese that appears to be the "chese ruayn" frequently mentioned in the
14th-15th-century English corpus of recipes, either as an import or
perhaps as a style name for a locally produced version. Presumably Brie,
another of the few cheeses mentioned by name in the corpus, was probably
imported from France, but anything is possible. Of course I'm
concentrating on the English sources, since Cressee is from one of them.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com