humor. was Re: SC - viking barley bread

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 13 00:05:57 PDT 2000

> > Hmmm. I don't think suckers or lolli-pops are period. However there
> > is this file:
> > candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
>
> There were more than just candied fruit peels. Especially in the Elizabethan
> period. Suckets, rock candy, meringues, candied spices, and things like
> leche lomard have been popular everywhere.

Well, yes. I was trying to be funny thus the lolli-pops. And there
actually is
a lot more in that file than just candied fruit peels. The problem is I only
have so much room for a file description.

> > > Very good! Now we can all have our juice and take a nap.
> >
> > Try:
> > cordials-msg      (67K)  9/ 9/99    Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA creations.
>
> I would consider it more like the fresh fruit juices, lemonades, or Persian ices
> than cordials. Although giving a bunch of pre-schoolers cordials would
> certainly prepare them for their naps.

Yes, the jalabs-msg file or the beverages-NA-msg file. Again, I was trying
to be funny and that was the most opposite of what you'd probably consider
giving kids that I had.

> > Or maybe you'd rather have milk and cookies:
> > kumiss-msg        (24K)  6/ 1/00    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
> > cookies-msg       (57K)  1/12/00    Period cookies. Recipes.
>
> An interesting point. Was milk drunk as a common beverage? I'm sure it
> was consumed quite a bit in Scandinavian areas (that's one reason why
> the Innuits wiped out a Viking trading village in Greenland. They had
> been given milk as a drink and the lactose intolerant natives thought they
> had been poisoned.) but what about the Continent or England?

We have had some discussion on this on this list. See this file:
dairy-prod-msg    (50K) 12/ 7/99    Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.

> I haven't really seen a recipe for period cookies as we know them. Maybe
> small cakes and such, like Queen Anne's cakes but not what we consider
> a cookie. Or am I having pre-coffee fog?

But some of the recipes are pretty close to what we would mundanely call
cookies. And if I were to use "cake" most folks would think of modern,
highly leavened, fluffy cakes. Also, I think the Middle East may have
had a lot more items closer to the modern definition of cookie than
Medieval Europe.

> > > Miss Gunthar
> > > Romper Room Schoolmarm

> Or maybe it's just an alternate personna. Anything about period cross-dressing
> in your files? Hey I see cross-dressing women in the SCA all the time, why not men?

I thought I had such a file but couldn't find it. It may be what I was thinking
of were two different sets of class notes I have on cross-dressing in period.
I have permission to add them to the Florilegium, but I haven't found
the time
yet. I'm trying to move the last of my files from the old site to the new
one, updating them in the process. I'm hoping to finish by Pennsic. (Yeah!!!)

>From what I remember from the classes, there was almost no male to female
cross-dressing in period. Why would a guy want to change from his position
to that of a second-class citizen? On the otherhand, women cross dressed
from various reasons, to follow their man into war, to escape a life of
drudgery, for protection and at least with the Roaring Girls of Elizabethian
times as a form of rebellion.

> > Lord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

> Gunthar
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net