SC - RE: sca-cooks V1 #2436

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Jul 13 12:51:30 PDT 2000

> Maybe she couldn't find orris root?  I vaguely recall that that's the
> binder used for mundane Christmas cloved orange pomander "craft" projects
> ... and may be period?  (it's IRIS root, I'm pretty sure).  I'm not an
> herbalist or perfumer, this is just a random scrap surfacing.

Actually, I couldn't afford to give the orris root away. Penn Herb sells
Orris root for $1.75 an ounce, which adds up fast. Rice flour or Rice
starch might be a more period alternative but I cannot find the place
where I read that rice flour was used as a powder in the middle
ages/Renaissance.

Hey, Ras, know where I can get some civet?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"