Orris root RE: Re: SC - RE: sca-cooks V1 #2436

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Jul 13 13:09:39 PDT 2000

> The quick ref identifies orris as any of several species of iris with
> fragrant roots, in particular, Iris germanica.

Yup. Orris root is the root of the Florentine Iris. (When fresh-ground, it
has a faint smell of European violets, though that fades. Apparently that
was one of the reasons it was later used as the base for Violet Powder, a
non-period cosmetic.)

Speaking of roots... Someone once told me that they knew of a period
recipe that called for Sweet Flag (Calamus) roots, which are now
considered poisonous. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"