SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2435 - use of sodaTurnips With Mus

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 21:14:53 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/11/00 3:14:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> I am curious about the soda.  Was the soda listed in the original recipe or
>  did Paul add it to his adaption of the recipe to get a better rise?  If it
>  is in the original recipe, then it is the earliest use of a chemical leaven
>  of which I know.
>
>  Bear
Isn't that odd?  Mark Grant uses sodium bicarbonate  in one of his translated
Roman recipes for mustard.  He gives his translation, but not the original
Latin, and I was...intriguied.  Who uses bicarb in mustard, anyway? On the
other hand, it's not what I'd call a usual modern ingredient, so that he'd
feel compelled to add it (whether called for or not).  I was thinking maybe
the original had called for natron.....

    Turnips with Mustard...From Columella On Agriculture...  "..mustard
seed...When it has been pounded, arrange the puree in the middle of the
mortar...place on it a few pieces of hot charcoal, then pour over some water
mixed with sodium bicarbonate in order to remove all bitterness..."  p 75 ff.
 mark Grant, Roman Cooking, Serif books, 1999.

Not your usual recipes.
Devra the Baker

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com