SC - Re: Started as viking barley bread- now did Vikings drink milk

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 14 06:22:54 PDT 2000

But why waste the shard??

Viking Flatbread/Shardbread

7 cups gruttet flour or thick wheat flour
3 cups liquid (use whey or butermilk) ~ pre-dunked I guess haha
1 egg
salt

Knead flour liquid egg and salt thouroughly.  Add more flour or liquid as
needed.

Shape the dough into small balls then press flat and thin

Bake bread in a glowing fire on shards of pottey or pans, about 2-3 minutes
on each side.  Bread should be lightly brown and sound hollow when you knock
on it lightly.  (mine come out almost like pita)

Good luck!
Lady Olwen