SC - Knives

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Fri Jul 14 19:48:03 PDT 2000

Jane M Tremaine wrote:

> I prefer the high carbon steel knifes.  They take an edge well and hold it.
> Yes the blade is suppose to turn black and they do take a little extra care.
> (Should not be washed in the dishwasher and need to be thoroughly dried
> right after washing)but they still are my favorite even over Gerber's.

As much as I might like to have period kitchen cutlery, I've use
professional quality kitchen knives for so long, I feel awkward using
something else.

First, the only serrated knife I use is a bread knife with wide tooth.
Most other retail quality knives with serration's are mostly saws,
IMNSHO. Murder on a cutting board and I don't like splinters in my food
(plus the crevices it creates in the cutting board harbour bacteria).

I like high carbon steel knifes, and hand wash and, then had dry them
after each use. If you let them dry in a drainboard, they will rust
nicely. I also use commercial stainless steel knives. An old line cooks
trick is to use the back of a carbon knife to sharpen the edge of a
stainless steel, or vice versa.

First knife to get is a chef's knife, with an even curve to the edge so
you can rock it back and forth to cut (you don't usually 'chop' but roll
the blade, someone like a papercutter) and wide enough to keep your
knuckles from hitting the board when you do. Something in the 6-8"
range, depending on how big your hands are and what's comfortable. I
also have a big 12' knife for when I need it. After that, I use a 8"
utility knife, not quite so wide as a chef's knife. And a _couple_ of
paring knives, as I use them constantly for small, careful dicing, and
actually paring. If you plan on butchering a lot of your meats and
poultry, a 5-6" butcher's knife I recommend. It has more curve towards
the tip and typically a clipped point. The broad curve near the end
makes it handy for controlled cutting, especially around a joint.

My preference for manufacturers are Forschner, Henkel, and Victorinox.
Gerber also makes commercial quality knives. Most of my carbon knives
are inexpensive 'Old Hickory' from Ontario Knife Co.