SC - Scallop

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 16 14:38:34 PDT 2000

Patrick Hood wrote:

> I used to eat raw scallops out of the bay while on the family boat.  It may
> be a local bayfisher thing.  We would open them and when we had a handful of
> scallops, rinse them in the bay for a little salt, and swallow.
> Unfortunatly the part you eat on a scallop is the muscle that allows them to
> open and shut their shells.  If you tried to chew them they would quiver.
> If you kept them in your mouth too long before swallowing they would
> quiver...
>
> Probably period but I wouldn't suggest it.

Why not? Assuming, of course, that the shellfish are safe to eat at all,
you pretty much can assume that live ones are as fresh as can be.
Literally. Is this any worse than eating live, raw oysters?

As for the periodicity of it, where do you think Pilgrims got their
scallop shells (for their hatbands) from?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com