SC - Begging A Favor

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Jul 17 04:21:29 PDT 2000

I have served gingerbread at demos, and most kids like it.  I did cut back a
little on the pepper and ginger as it otherwise seems to be little highly
seasoned for some people.  My recipe follows:

19.  To make gingerbrede.  Take goode honey & clarefie it on the fere, & take
fayre paynemayn or wastel brede & grate it, & caste it into the boylenge honey,
& stere it well togyder faste with a sklyse that it bren not to the vessell. &
thanne take it doun and put therein ginger, longe pepere & saundres, & tempere
it up with thin haldes; & than put hem to a flatt gboyste & straw thereon sugar,
& pick therein clowes rounde aboute by the egge and in the mydes, yf it plece
you, &c.

19.  To make gingerbrede.  Take good honey and clarify it on the fire, and take
good white bread or good bread and grate it, and put it into the boiling honey
and stir it together fast with a spatula so that it will not burn not to the
vessel. And then take it down and add ginger, long pepper and sanders, and mix
it with  thin handles ; and then put it in a flat box and sprinkle it with
sugar. And pick cloves round about by the egg and in the middle, if it please
you.  (Sloan, 468 from Curye on Inglysch)

½ cups honey     1/8 tsp. White pepper
1 loaf bread/bread crumbs (stale)   sugar & cloves as garnish
1 tsp. ginger

1.  Heat honey in a pan, skimming off scum if necessary.
2.  Stir in bread crumbs, ginger and pepper
3.  Put into 8” cake pan, and allow to cool.
4.  When cool, turn it out of pan, cut into pieces and garnish with sugar and
cloves

Note:  I chose to use white pepper as “long pepper”, after reading several other
redactions of period gingerbread recipes.  However, I have since discovered that
I can get long pepper from Francesco Sirene, Spicer.

Hope this helps!

Kiri