SC - Re: Killer cooks

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Jul 17 22:40:49 PDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > I don't recall that either of us was wearing full Elizabethan, regardless
> > who was butchering a veal.....
>
> I suspect that either somebody had the wrong type of full Elizabethan,

No, you just don't speak the language. The term "full Elizabethan" does
not, as you appear tho think, mean "clothes from the Elizabethan
period", but rather "court dress from the Elizabethan period". A very
important distinction.

> or else perhaps had some combination of inexperience or excessively high
> standards about the odd splash. I don't imagine Elizabethan butchers
> saying, "Uh oh, it be a calffe. I'd best to slippe into mine Italian
> Renne; my Gothic is at ye Cleaners."

You mean they didn't dress down to Saxon, Viking, Generic Early, or
Mundane when doing strenous or dirty work? But then how did they get
anything done? It is obvious that one can't dig firepits, chop wood,
cook, butcher lifestock, carry firewood or put up many pavilions wearing
clothes from those periods. Thus there are only two alterantives; either
they all lived of the stored materials of earlier times, or they dressed
differently when doing practical work. And since it is clearly
unreasonable to think that foodstuffs would last for several decades (or
even centuries) they must have dressed in different clothes.

/UlfR
 Who solved *that* problem by sticking to a *sensible* period. Since the
only known copy of "To Queen Emmas Taste" was destroyed in 1073, so he
has to eat all this newfangled modern stuff from Forme of Curye.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
If someone reports back to you that so-and-so is saying bad things about
you, do not reply to them but answer, Obviously he didn't know my other
bad characteristics, since otherwise he wouldn't just have mentioned these.
		-- Epictetus, The Handbook