SC - Non-alcoholic drinks

Black Jade Black_Jade at bigpond.com
Tue Jul 18 15:26:32 PDT 2000

Okay, here's what I have in the way of non alcoholic drinks recipes.  The
first three recipes are what appears in Cariadoc's Miscellany and are
period.  The remaining are ones I came up with a while ago when I had far
too much time on my hands.  They are not period, but I like all of them.
Hope this helps.
- -A'adeema

Cariadocs wonderful recipes:

SEKANJABIN

(Andalusian p. A-74)

Take a ratl of strong vinegar and mix it with two ratls of sugar, and cook
all this until it takes the form of a syrup. Drink an ûqiya of this with
three of hot water when fasting: it is beneficial for fevers of jaundice,
and calms jaundice and cuts the thirst, since sikanjabîn syrup is
beneficial in phlegmatic fevers: make it with six ûqiyas of sour vinegar
for a ratl of honey and it is admirable.

This seems to be at least two different recipes, for two different medical
uses. The first, at least, is intended to be drunk hot. In modern Iranian
restaurants,
sekanjabin is normally served cold, often with grated cucumber.

Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water; when it comes to a boil add 1
cup wine vinegar. Simmer 1/2 hour. Add a handful of mint, remove from fire,
let cool. Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water (5 to 10 parts
water to 1 part syrup). The syrup stores without refrigeration.

SYRUP OF POMEGRANATES

(Andalusian p. A-74)

Take a ratl of sour pomegranates and another of sweet pomegranates, and add
their juice to two ratls of sugar, cook all this until it takes the
consistency of syrup, and keep until needed. Its benefits: it is useful for
fevers, and cuts the thirst, it benefits bilious fevers and lightens the
body gently.

Use equal volumes of sugar and pomegranate juice (found in some health food
stores). Cook them down to a thick syrup, in which form they will keep,
without refrigeration, for a very long time. To serve, dilute one part of
syrup in 3 to 6 parts of hot water (to taste).

SYRUP OF LEMON

(Andalusian p. 279)

Take lemon, after peeling its outer skin, press it and take a ratl of
juice, and add as much of sugar. Cook it until it takes the form of a
syrup. Its advantages are for the heat of bile; it cuts the thirst and
binds the bowels.

This we also serve as a strong, hot drink. Alternatively, dilute it in cold
water and you have thirteenth century lemonade. All three of the original
recipes include comments on medical uses of the syrups.

My own poor efforts:

SPICED BLACKBERRY SYRUP

3 kg blackberries
sugar
10 cloves
10 crushed coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 blade mace
peel of 1 orange
peel of 1 lemon

Simmer the blackberries until soft in 300ml of water.  Strain through
muslin or a jelly bag, pressing out all the juice.  Measure the liquid and
add 500g of sugar to each 600ml.  Tie the spices and peel in a piece of
muslin and immerse them in the syrup.  Bring slowly to the boil and simmer
for 30 minutes.  Remove the bag, Bottle or freeze.

ELDERFLOWER SYRUP

1 litre elderflowers
white sugar

Cover the elderflowers with water and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Squeeze the liquid through muslin or a jelly bag.  Add 350g sugar to each
600ml of water and simmer for a further 15 minutes.  Bottle or freeze.

HOP LEMONADE

15g / 7g fresh/dried hops
a small piece bruised root ginger
1 bunch fresh mint
1 thinly sliced lemon
100g demerera sugar

Fill a large pan with 2 litres of water and add the hops, ginger, mint and
lemon.  Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.  The liquid will
have reduced by about half.  Strain and stir in the sugar.  Stir to
dissolve and boil for 5 minutes.  Pour into a large jug and cool.

TAMARIND WATER

50g Tamarinds
3 Tbs sugar
3 slices of lemon

Soak the tamarind voernight in 1.75 litres of water.  Strain and add the
sugar and slices of lemon.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Cover, take off the heat and leave to cool.  Strain off the lemon.