SC - Re: Killer cooks

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jul 19 21:27:25 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Funny, since you seem to be in agreement with everyone else on this. I'm
> just wondering what Elizabethan English butchers wore when working, and
> why it doesn't qualify as "full Elizabethan". Presumably there is some
> kind of jargon involved, but whose? Is this modern costuming terminology
> (which might have some defensible basis in reality, or might not),
> arbitrary SCAdian pseudolanguage (which probably doesn't), or did Lady
> Elinor Fettiplace record, in her diary, having worn "my fulle
> Elizabethan" on her wedding day...?

Unless I misremember my dates, Elinor would have worn _Jacobean_
clothing, would she not?

At any rate, I don't call my clothing "Late Clintonian garb", whether
I'm butchering or not. I think what we call 'Full Elizabethan' they
might have termed 'clothes for Court'. What you wear to butcher in is
work clothes, any time, any place.

'Lainie