SC - posole?

Fri Jul 21 11:24:28 PDT 2000

Hominy is made by boiling dried corn in a lye (potassium hydroxide from
potash) solution until the skins peel off and the kernals swell.  According
to a couple sources, in the Southwest, the potash was made from burnt corn
cobs or limewater (calcium hydroxide) was used in place of lye.  The hominey
can be rinsed and used as is or dried for storage.

Bear