SC - Anise seeds -some toxic, some not!!!

BalthazarBlack at aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Sun Jul 23 22:25:50 PDT 2000

<<
 Perhaps you could provide a bit more info on this? I ask in part because
 I'm planning to teach a class on anise confits, I don't want to poison
anybody.

No, the aniseed we use in cooking (the one you described) is not toxic.  the
author of that post is mistaken.  Star Anise is not toxic, either.  I don't
know of any anise that is toxic, but evidently there is one species out there
which is harmful (or maybe not...I haven't done the research).

Get back to cooking, Master A.  There's nothing to see here... move along.

Balthazar of Blackmoor