SC - Anise seeds -some toxic, some not!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 24 06:18:06 PDT 2000

BalthazarBlack at aol.com wrote:

> No, the aniseed we use in cooking (the one you described) is not toxic.  the
> author of that post is mistaken.  Star Anise is not toxic, either.  I don't
> know of any anise that is toxic, but evidently there is one species out there
> which is harmful (or maybe not...I haven't done the research).

Nor I, which is why I asked. I suspect that this either A) incorrect, or
B) literally and theoretically correct, but not necessarily of any
practical significance: along the lines of saying nutmeg is a dangerous
hallucinogen. It is, but... . On the other hand, if I've been
misinformed all this time,  I'd certainly like to know that, too.

> Get back to cooking, Master A.  There's nothing to see here... move along.

Yeah, but it blowed up real good!

A., rubbernecker at heart
- --
Phil & Susan Troy