SC - Smithsonian dinner

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Jul 24 10:02:10 PDT 2000

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> And I guess that this perception is furthered by things like the Renaissance
> magazine.  I just read an article they published on period cookery...and was
> apalled!!!!!  I do intend to write them a letter regarding their misinformation.
> I don't care if it is a magazine directed primarilly at Ren Fairs.  It still
> should have accurate information.  One of their "period" recipes included
> potatoes and green peppers!
>
> We made the fatal mistake of subscribing to it for a year, but, unless they clean
> up their act, we won't make the mistake again.

If it's any consolation, they don't appear to be any more accurate on
other matters. A friend of mine in Seattle gave me copies (which are
surely In The Basement) of issues that featured period music and period
weddings. Both were atrocious, though I was especially frustrated by the
period weddings one. Somehow it looks as though dressing the bridal
party in bad ren outfits, waving some herbs around and 'jumping the
broom' (which is not even sort of period) as well as deliberately
archaisizing the vows (or writing your own) is what they think period
wedding were like. BAH! sez Father Abelard, who has notebooks full of
period ritual. Dressing in purple and green satin does not a period
wedding make, nor does putting a little knight figurine on top of the
floofy icing on the wedding cake. The magazine seems not only directed
at ren faire folk, but at the sort of people who go to Medieval Times
and such to 'learn about the middle ages'. Writing them is a good idea,
but don't expect a positive response, if any.

Crazy 'Lainie
who has been working on synthesizing 14th-15th vows to come up with a
possible set for about c.1400 or so...