SC - Pine nuts

Tue Jul 25 08:51:11 PDT 2000

There are a number of different types of pine nut from different species of
pine.   I'm appending a message about pine nut species from a couple years
back.

Bear

Here is a brief, incomplete list, of conifers producing edible pine nuts. I
haven't located pictures of the seeds to see if the resemble each other. I
found it interesting that at least 3 species are considered to be Pinons.
Bear

Araucaria imbricata (Chile pine) Andes
Pinus Cembra (Swiss stone pine) Alps
Pinus Pinea fragilis (Tarentine pine) Italy
Pinus edulis (Pinon pine) North America
Pinus parryana (Pinon pine) North America
Pinus monophylla (Pinon pine) North America

<<Speaking of pine nuts...

Is there only one type or is the term a generic one for whatever kind that
is available in a locale?  I've not used them in cooking, except for the
local pinon nuts, so I'm curious.

Prydwen
gryphon at carlsbadnm.com >>