SC - Barley

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 12:16:37 PDT 2000

- --- BalthazarBlack at aol.com wrote:

> And finally, I reply:  You know, I'm not really sure
> why barley never really
> became popular (or fell out of favor) as a breakfast
> cereal in the States.
> As far as the advantage of barley over cold
> breakfast cereal, I would have to
> say there are numerous advantages:  No sugar, high
> fiber, high bran, full of
> nutrition, warming-stick-to-your-ribs texture...
> And, as for the industrial
> process required to make barley edible?  I don't
> think there is one.  I just
> think most Americans are leary of something they
> didn't grow up with for
> breakfast.  Pearled Barley certainly cooks faster,
> which may be why it seems
> to have won out over whole barley in the culinary
> game.  Plus, some folks
> don't like the fiberous bran (or husk) surrounding
> whole barley.
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

There used to be a cold cereal on the market when I
was a kid.  It was a sugar-coated puffed barley.  I
adored it as a kid, but my mom would never buy it
because it was sugar-coated.  The only time I ever got
any was when my mom would buy one of those cereal
travel multi-packs. I think it was called Sugar Pops
and had the phrase, "Sugar Pops are tops."  It had a
bear as its logo.

I have always loved barley, even though my mother
never cooked with it.  I especially like Beef Barley
soup or even better, Mushroom Barley soup.

Huette