SC - Smithsonian dinner

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Thu Jul 27 08:41:10 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/27/00 7:46:55 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Bronwynmgn at aol.com writes:

<< I find the use of even the term "medieval-style" deceiving at best for
this
 recipe,and it certainly could give a reader a false impression of medieval
 food.  However, while I would tell the magazine publishers that this is not
 medieval-style cooking, I would not complain to the them that the recipe is
 not period.  They didn't say it was period, but they did claim that it was
in
 a medieval style, which it patently is not.

 Brangwayna Morgan >>

Ok. I read through the recipe. I hadn't gotten that far when I replied
before. So, are you saying that roasting stuffed birds on a spit is not a
period form of cooking? That the rice with spices and vegetables wouldn't
have been a period form of combining rice with vegetables, ie, boiling the
rice and adding the vegetables into the pot with the rice? I understand that
the tomatoes might not have been used. And perhaps there was some other form
of "hot" pepper that might be used other than cayenne. But, again, this was a
recipe for the "modern" person, and I doubt if they would have had "period
spices" to use in the mix. Romano Cheese and Zuchinni and chili oil? Hmm.
Don't know if Romano Cheese was used anywhere in period. Don't like Zuchs or
hot oils, myself. As for the tomatoes, well....we all know about tomatoes.
But again, it sounds like they offering the "style of" and not the "content
of". To me it is a recipe aimed at someone who has decided to throw a get
together in their backyard, and have their own small BBQ in a style of the
Medieval timeperiod; not someone who wants to throw a very period feast with
period ingredients and recreate an authentic regional recipe. I get the
impression that this was written so as to give a "taste" of it with stuff you
might already have in your kitchen. Again, I can't fault them for that as
they never said, or it was never said online in this forum, that they were
intending to do anything else.

Lars