SC - Re: A question of re-creation

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jul 28 08:40:01 PDT 2000

> > I submitted an A&S entry on
> > confits, and one of the comments was that I should have ground my sugar by
> > hand in a mortar (I agreed, I actually had some sugar in a mortar that was
> > ground by hand for display but the actually cooking quantity was done  by
> > machine- I have tendonitis and carple tunnel(sp?) so it is not reasonable for
> > me to hand grind much of anything if I want to hold a cup of coffee
> > afterwards, this was explained in my documentation)

So? The next time somone makes a comment like that you can tell them that
you are a noble lady and either a) had a kitchen drudge do it or b) bought the
pounded sugar from the apothecary. Either one is quite period, especially
for a lady of gentle birth with bad wrists.

Then memorize some choice Shakespearean insults.

> > I used various seeds and nuts as the medium of the confits. It was pointed
> > out that I would have gotten higher marks had I grown my own seeds (ie,
> > coriander and anise, fennel are all easily grown in my area.) I have actually
> > taken to growing coriander for the next Kingdom A&S just to follow through.

Reminds me of an A&S entry at Gulf War by a master woodworker, bookbinder
and metalsmith. Part of the display was the tools he made to make the entry.
One of the commentators asked if he had used modern tools to make the tools.

> *shrug* You know, it's a good thing I've been put off entering food in A&S
> competitions already....

I agree. Some people can do very well with cooking entries in A&S but I just
suck at it. I do give a lot of help to people who desire to enter A&S and I
sometimes
judge them, but I consider the feasts, buffets, teas and lunches I do as my
A&S.

> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise        jenne at tulgey.browser.net

Yers,

Gunthar