SC - Persona Help (OT)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 1 23:06:14 PDT 2000

The soon not to be Katerine asked:
> I'm currently overhauling my persona totally (I mean throwing out the
> current and going totally different) The theme is Middle Eastern, being
> sick and tired of everyone esle in the Barony being Viking or Celtic or
> French.  I was wondering if anyone has any sources for Middle Eastern names
> that would help me find a nice name.

I don't think I have any files in the Florilegium specificaly on
Middle Eastern names. However you might check this file in the PERSONA
section:
names-msg         (89K)  3/23/00    Name sources, naming practices.

There may or may not be some referances given for Middle Eastern names
in this file, but there will be a few messages from a group of SCA
heralds that run a wonderful name referance website.

There are also a few other files in the Florilegium that might prove
useful in developing your new persona deeper than just a name. In the
CULTURES section:
Arabs-msg         (14K)  4/19/00    Arab culture and dress.
Islamic-bib        (9K) 11/11/94    Bibliography on Islamic cultures.
Middle-East-msg    (7K) 11/17/99    Info. on the period Middle East.
Turkey-msg         (5K) 12/ 9/99    Period Turkey. Culture. History.

In FEASTS:
ME-feasts-msg     (20K)  5/19/99    Middle Eastern feasts. sitting, serving.

In FOOD-BY-REGION:
fd-Mid-East-msg   (22K) 11/17/99    Period food of the Middle East. Recipes.
fd-Turkey-msg      (7K)  9/16/98    Medieval Turkish food. Referances. Recipes.

There are however a large number of cultures possible if you a simply
looking for something other than French, Celtic or Norse. You might
want to take a quick look through the other files in the CULTURES
section, and even that is quite far from comprehensive.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net