SC - O/P Swedish Kalops & Finnish Turnip Pie

Jim Revells sudnserv5 at netway.com
Mon Jul 3 15:17:58 PDT 2000

As promised long ago, I am providing the recipe for Kalops with my
variations. Since I recently found my book on Swedish cooking here it is.
This is a traditional recipe for beef that may be very old & looks to my
eyes that it is periodal.  The cook book is "The World at Your Table
Scandinavian Cooking"  ISBN 0-8877-03108:

Collops/Kalops

3-5 Lbs of 1" cubes of lean beef- I use a boneless beef roast- the original
calls for 3# stew beef
salt to taste- original calls for 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon ground black pepper- original calls for 1/4 teaspoon
1/2 cup of flour-original calls for 1/4cup
enough cooking oil to thinly cover the bottom of your pot- original says 3
tablspoons
3-5 large onions chopped-original calls for 2 medium
2-4 bay leaves depending on strength- original calls for 2
1 can whole cranberry sauce I also add 1-2 cups of fresh whole cranberries

sprinkel meat with salt &pepper.
derdge meat through flour.
In a large dutch oven heat the oil.
brown meet in oil on all sides
add in onions, bay leaves, cranberries & Cranberry Sauce then stir
thourghly.
cover dutch oven & cook at a medium heat (stiring occasionaly to prevent
sticking this can be a problem, it also allows some of the liquid to cook
off) for about 1-3 hours untill tender.

This Finnish Turnip pie also goes well with the beef:

Lanttuaatikko

2# yellow turnips cut into 1/2" cubes & cooked in salted water untill
tender, drained & mashed.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
1cup half&half
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon white pepper-original calls for a dash
1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg- original calls for 1/8
2eggs lightly beaten
1/2-3/4 stick butter or margarine-original calls for 2 table spoons

Take 1cup of bread crumbs & mix with turnips Half&half,sugar, pepper, &
nutmeg.
Then add salt to taste.
Stir in eggs.
Use some of the butter to grease a round 9"x2" cake pan, coat the pan with
some of the reserved bread crumbs.
spread the turnip mixture in the pan cover with the remaining bread crumbs
& dot with remaining butter.
bake in 325F oven for 1 hour or untill lightly browned.

Enjoy!
Olaf