SC - Roast beef

Ron Rispoli rispoli at gte.net
Mon Jul 3 19:33:15 PDT 2000

This recipe confused me a bit the title says ribs of beef
(Alows de beef or de mutton) but the recipe calls for rump
(quyschons).  I'd be interested to hear what others can do with this.

Take fayre bef of the quyschons, or motoun of  the bottes,& kytte in the
maner of stekys:  Than take raw Percely, & Oynonys smal y-scredde,& yolkys
of eyroun sothe hard, & Marow or swette, & hew alle thes to-gedder smal;
than
caste ther-on poudere of gyngere & saffroun,& tolle them to-gederys with
thin hond, & lay them on the stekys al a-brode,& caste salt ther-to; then
rolle to-gederys, & putte hem on a round spete, & roste hem til they ben
y-now: than lay hem in a dysshe, & pore ther-on vynegre & a lityl verious, &
pouder pepir ther-on y-now, & gyngere, & canelle, & a fewe yolkys of hard
eyroun y-kremyd ther-on; & serue forth.

This is from "A Fifteenth Century Cookry Boke" by John L. Anderson