SC - Cranberry Mead recipe, as requested--??period??

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jul 11 07:38:52 PDT 2000

For all of you who asked (and those of you who didn't!!), here is my
lord Phillip's wonderful Cranberry mead recipe (we know that the recipe
itself is fairly modern, but, in the spirit of the "periodoid", all of
the ingredients are, we believe, period):

9 lbs. honey (or 10)
4 gal. water
2 oranges
1.25 lbs. cranberries
.5 - 1 Tbsp. ginger
1 tbsp. cloves
1 tbsp. allspice (ok, this one isn't, but you could probably substitute
something
                            that is)
1 tbsp. rosemary
2 - 3 sticks of cinnamon
1 pkg. yeast

Boil water.

Peel orange and put aside peel.  Put segments in blender with
cranberries.

Add honey to water.  After about 15 minutes, add ginger and boil 10 - 15
minutes.

Add spices and orange peel and cook for 15 minutes.

Turn off heat and add oj/cranberry mixture.

Let cool overnight (covered) and add yeast.

Skim top every few days.

Kiri's notes:  This is a short mead, so can be used within a couple of
weeks.  However, if transporting (like to Pennsic) be sure to keep it
cool...and try not to shake it up.  It tends to be VERY volatile!  We
usually store it in 2 liter cola bottles with screw tops and carry it in
a styrofoam cooler with lots of ice.  When opening, do so carefully...

Enjoy!!!

Kiri (sorry about mentioning the recipe and not just posting it...but
really, Miss Gunther, I was hoping to trade it for the galingale mead
recipe and was offering this one in trade!  I'm sorry...it won't happen
again!)