SC - Period steamed buns

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jul 11 08:30:28 PDT 2000

- --------------0C9FAFF81A3FA3969EF47254

Yup....there were several lovely puns on this one!  However, I just got the last
of some information from Paul regarding some of the terminology in the recipe
and can now pass it on.  I haven't tried it yet, but it does sound very tasty:

*Chuqmin (same as "long bread")

White flour (five chin), vegetable oil (one chin), Chinese flower pepper (one
liang; roast and discard the juice), fennel (one liang; roast).

[Mix] ingredients and keep overnight.  Use leaven, salt, soda and warm water.
Combine this with flour [dough].  The next day add flour to thicken.  Combine
again into a dough.  Divide each chin [of dough] into two loaves.  Put into a
lung and steam.

Notes:
1.  A liang = 0.11 oz or 31.20 grams
2.  A chin = about 500 grams
3.  Chinese flower pepper = Szechuan pepper
4.  The "leaven" used here was not the same as modern yeast, but, as it is
somewhat difficult to make, modern yeast could be substituted.  I may have some
leaven recipes to share in the future.
5.  I'm not sure what a lung was, but am told that Chinese steamer baskets would
work.  Paul said he used a bread maker!

I have not done anything further with this.  I'm hoping that Phillip (my lord)
can play with it before too much longer.  I suspect it is something we may want
to fix for our upcoming Festival of Kites.

Kiri

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> I'd love to have your recipe for steamed buns  (ohhh , I feel a pun coming
> on!!)  I'd love for you to share your period bun recipe
> Thanks
> Phillipa
>
> <<
>  I'm not a bread maker as such...that job is ably handled by my lord!
> However, I
>  would also add that the Chinese/Mongols/etc. did frequently steam bread.  I
> do
>  have at least one period recipe for this...a kind of steamed bun.
>
>  Kiri >>

- --------------0C9FAFF81A3FA3969EF47254

Yup....there were several lovely puns on this one!  However, I just
got the last of some information from Paul regarding some of the terminology
in the recipe and can now pass it on.  I haven't tried it yet, but
it does sound very tasty:
flower pepper (one <i>liang</i>; roast and discard the juice), fennel (one
<i>liang</i>; roast).
warm water.  Combine this with flour [dough].  The next day add
flour to thicken.  Combine again into a dough.  Divide each <i>chin</i>
[of dough] into two loaves.  Put into a <i>lung</i> and steam.
as it is somewhat difficult to make, modern yeast could be substituted.
I may have some leaven recipes to share in the future.
steamer baskets would work.  Paul said he used a bread maker!
(my lord) can play with it before too much longer.  I suspect it is
something we may want to fix for our upcoming Festival of Kites.
(ohhh , I feel a pun coming
lord!
bread.  I
bun.