SC - Iscia ex Spondylis

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jul 12 07:13:22 PDT 2000

> What are these "hard and objectionalble" parts on scallops? All the scallops
> I've seen were round disks about an inch in diameter and about half that
> thick, sometimes smaller sometimes larger depending upon whether they were
> from ocean or bay.
>
> --
> Lord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

What you get in the supermarket are scallops that have been deshelled, cleaned
and presented for your approval. The part you eat is basically a muscle that is
pretty much in the center of the animal. If you open a shell you will see this
pearly white chunk of meat in the middle of a bunch of typically icky shellfish
parts. You cut the white chunk out and discard the rest. There is usually a
rather hard and rubbery pinkish muscle attached to it that you sometimes
get in seafood shops. I think they leave it on as an indicator that it really is
scallop and not whitefish. Trim that off before you prepare the dish.

I hope that clarifies things.

Gunthar