humor. was Re: SC - viking barley bread

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Jul 12 07:22:54 PDT 2000

> Hmmm. I don't think suckers or lolli-pops are period. However there
> is this file:
> candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.

There were more than just candied fruit peels. Especially in the Elizabethan
period. Suckets, rock candy, meringues, candied spices, and things like
leche lomard have been popular everywhere.

> > Very good! Now we can all have our juice and take a nap.
>
> Try:
> cordials-msg      (67K)  9/ 9/99    Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA creations.

I would consider it more like the fresh fruit juices, lemonades, or Persian ices
than cordials. Although giving a bunch of pre-schoolers cordials would
certainly prepare them for their naps.

> Or maybe you'd rather have milk and cookies:
> kumiss-msg        (24K)  6/ 1/00    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
> cookies-msg       (57K)  1/12/00    Period cookies. Recipes.

An interesting point. Was milk drunk as a common beverage? I'm sure it
was consumed quite a bit in Scandinavian areas (that's one reason why
the Innuits wiped out a Viking trading village in Greenland. They had
been given milk as a drink and the lactose intolerant natives thought they
had been poisoned.) but what about the Continent or England?

I haven't really seen a recipe for period cookies as we know them. Maybe
small cakes and such, like Queen Anne's cakes but not what we consider
a cookie. Or am I having pre-coffee fog?

> > Miss Gunthar
> > Romper Room Schoolmarm
>
> Hmmm. I don't think period surgery was quite advanced enough to do
> that, but check:
> p-medicine-msg    (39K)  2/ 4/00    Period medical practices.
>
> Although I guess they could get half way there. Check:
> eunuchs-msg        (6K)  3/30/00    Eunuchs and castration in period. Referances

Or maybe it's just an alternate personna. Anything about period cross-dressing
in your files? Hey I see cross-dressing women in the SCA all the time, why not men?

> I think I'll go find cave-msg, now.

Check out the histories of many monks, including St. Francis of Assisi.

> Lord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

Yers,

Gunthar

Back to breeches and trews now.