SC - Re: borrowing (was Ginestada)

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 08:42:58 PDT 2000

>Did I mention that Granado also contains most of de Nola?  It might be
>interesting to compare the carving instructions in there with those from
>the 1423 _Arte de Cortar_ by de Villena.

Ooo!  Cool! Where can I find a copy?

>I don't know, since I haven't yet gotten a copy of _Libre de Coch_.  The
>Catalan recipes I've seen quoted from it in Santich's _Original
>Mediterranean Cuisine_ look extremely close to their Castilian
>"descendants" in de Nola.

I kinda lucked out; somebody gave me a photocopy of a modern cookbook in
Spanish that translates and redacts recipes from "Llibre de Sent Sovi" and
"Llibre de Coch", with the original text presented first.  (Even has that
infamous "roast cat" recipe.)   I have noticed some variations, and some
recipes for invalids have been added in the second section.

As far as book ideas go, does anyone know of any works that give instruction
on how to serve food?  De Nola describes a very detailed ritual for serving
the head table, which has been used at major feasts here in Three Rivers
with some success.  It might be interesting to draw up a sort of "manual of
style", giving simple instructions on the various methods extant.

Vicente