SC - Re: now did Vikings drink milk

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jul 13 15:55:12 PDT 2000

> <<?So worketh it with one that eateth dulse, thirsteth he aye the more for
> that (water)?
> ?Wilt thou drink, father?? saith she.
> He took it, and swallowed a big draught, and that was in a beast?s horn.
> Then spake Thorgerd: ? Now are we cheated! This is milk?.
> Then bit Egil a shard out of the horn, all that his teeth took hold on, and
> there with cast down the horn.>>
>
> So, milk anyone?
>
> I guess it  wouldn?t be be wise to serve it to this Viking.
>
> Hauviette

Well upon reading it a couple of times it appears to me that what upset
the heroes wasn't the fact that milk wasn't drunk but that they were
expecting something a bit stronger.

I've seen several sources that the Norse enjoyed milk, either fresh
or soured, as a beverage but I don't know if the habit extended to the
lower countries.

Maybe Nanna could give some insight.

Gunthar