SC - Calaphon pots & pans

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jul 17 07:47:14 PDT 2000

Phillipia asks:
At 05:25 PM 7/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Sorry I didn't ask this in my knife post:
>I use RevereWare copper bottom pots & pans which I like very much.  But I
>would like to start using non-stick cookware.
>
>Does anyone have an opinion on Calaphon  (sp) cookware.  that black,
>non-stick *expenssive* cookware?

I have a stew pot of this this is very nice. HOwever, my loyalties have
since switched to Belgique. Its got a mirrored surface which is essentially
nonstick (I've never had problems...just soak it for 1/2 hr or so and it
comes nicely clean even with really baked on gook). The stuff is
pretty...shiny silver! the stock pots even look cute with their little
pudgy shape. The stuff is recommended to me by the French restauranteur I
took classes from. Best part is that its CHEAP! when it goes on sale, which
up[ here it does several times a year. I got a very large sauteuse with a
lid for about $30-$40 a couple years ago. A pasta pot with removable insert
for $20 this year. NEato double boiler but the top part is perforated for
steaming veggies and dumplings for $20... Heavy double bottoms means even
heat distribution, and my sauteuse for example is about 4 years old, and it
still is VERY nonstick. I allow myself one piece a year :).

Up here, its carried by the Bon Marche, but I believe its also carried by
Macy's and the like under the house brand "Tools of the Trade".

hope this helps!
- --AM
PS, you can also find discount calphalon at various mail order kitchen
places. Never pay full price! :)