Serving Dishes Re: SC - Re: The Perfect Feast

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 17:57:55 PDT 2000

- --- Jenne Heise <jenne at tulgey.browser.net> wrote:
> > Food presented in appropriate dishes (neither too
> big nor too small)
> > _with a serving utensil_!
>
> *smile* You should have seen the excitement we went
> through in my shire
> when I pointed out that the brand new site we were
> using for our winter
> event did not have serving dishes available. Now we
> own some dishware but
> the glass bowls we found (to serve soup in-- we
> didn't have 16 large
> wooden bowls and around here they are rare and
> expensive at yard sales--
> the large ones that is) broke in transit, so almost
> all our serving gear
> is molded (semi-transparent) plastic. (We have lots
> of small wooden bowls
> for sauces and such, and we have large
> silver-colored alumnium
> turkey-sized platters.)
>
> How do other groups manage a serving dish inventory?
> What about pitchers
> for drinks?

If you have a 99 Cents Only Store or an equivalent in
your area, this is a great book to a groups serving
dish/tray inventory.  Currently this store is stocking
12" round silver-like trays, 15"x12" rectangular
silver-like trays and oval silver-like trays.  Each is
99 cents.  When they first stocked these, about 10
years ago, I invested $60 and bought 60 trays.  They
only had the round at that time.  These have been a
huge help, because when I cook for 300, half can been
in use, while the others are waiting to be used or
being washed for re-use.

I also own 30 of those wood-laminate salad bowls [the
ones with the 2" square pieces of wood laminated into
bowls], which I picked up at a going-out-of-business
sale for 25 cents each.  I used to have matching
smaller bowls for sauces, but someone I loaned my
stuff to has managed to loose the smaller bowls and
hasn't replaced them yet.

I also bought 30 plastic cut-glass-like bowls also
from the 99 Cents Only store. And 30 plastic platters
in the shape of fish.

I also have 30 brass egg cups from CostPlus, which
were about $1.50 each, which I use as salt bowls.

With each new banquet, I buy something more for my
collection.  I don't hesitate to loan these out to
neighboring groups so they don't have to expend sums
for their serving dishs.

As for serving utensils, I have 30 metal ladles, 90
large serving spoons, and 30 serving forks, all from
the 99 cents only store.  They are not the finest
quality, but they do the job and if they disappear,
break, are accidently thrown away or are stolen, I
don't cry or blink an eye.  I just buy a couple more,
since they are so cheap.

While I usually try to avoid glass because of the
breakage problems, I haven't been able to with my
pitchers/carafes.  I have been haunting all the local
thrift stores for wine carafes, that usually sell for
25 cents a piece. [I am up to 50 so far].  I have also
purchased as many Armintale pitchers as I can find and
can afford [I am up to 8 so far]. I have purchased
from Smart & Final their disposable plastic pitchers,
which are very plain, very usable and sometimes
re-usable if you want to.  But buying them tends to be
more expensive.

The really expensive, more period looking items are
reserved for using at the head table; the real silver
platters, the real crystal bowls, the hand-blown
carafe in the shape of a dolphin, etc.

My philosophy about collecting all this personally is
that I don't want to have to depend on a site for very
much.  Mostly just ovens, refrigerators, countertops,
and tables and chairs.  My very first banquet was at a
church hall which had lots of serving stuff, but the
day before the banquet, we were informed that they
didn't allow outsiders to use their stuff.  Which left
me with a problem.  Fortunately, I am a member of a
well-stocked church that I have been attending of
since I was a baby, and I was able to borrow
everything I needed, including tables.  It was a
hassle transporting everything, but I managed.  Since
then, I have been collecting and not ever depending on
the site to provide everything I need.  If the site is
well-stocked, great!  If it isn't, I have it all
covered.

Huette