SC - Smithsonian dinner

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Wed Jul 19 10:30:17 PDT 2000

At 12:09 AM 7/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I totally agree. But based on the other stuff they are serving and stating
>were from the "period" because of the chemical ingredients found, I just
>can't hardly believe they would "muck" it up by including something they
>don't have basis for. Not when they have gone to the trouble of deciding if
>**black pepper** could be used or not. If they were so casual about it they
>could use it and say it was the other, rather than going to all the trouble
>of using regional spices. See what I mean? And Patrick McGovern is known in
>his field. This would be putting his rep on line too, even if only a minimal
>amount of rep.

I realise all this discussion is helpful for people in figuring out what to
do at their OWN feasts that you all cook in the SCA and such.  But it
occurred to me that, while everyone is critisizing the menu choices for
this feast, that perhaps someone on the Feat Team at Smithsonian already
thought of the possibility of guests becoming confused?  Perhaps they are
intending to serve a little recipe booklet with the meal (or some sort of
pamphlette) that would specifically indicate which items were found at the
archeological site, and which items are modern inventions???  I guess
someone from this list would have to actually purchase meal tickets to the
Smithsonian Feast to find out for sure...  Sometimes it seems like people
on this list automatically assume the rest of the world is made up of
idiots though, and it is frustrating to me to encounter this subtle
hostility.  Don't people here ever give outsiders the benefit-of-the-doubt?
I don't know... I guess it doesn't really matter either way.  Whether the
guests know that chocolate was or was not present in medieval history isn't
going to effect my personal life anyway.  It isn't going to change the size
of my husband's paycheck, or how soon my 4 year old learns how to read, or
what *I* serve for dinner on that night, so I guess it really doesn't
matter what the professional chefs here on this list say about their
Smithsonian feast either.  :)  God bless you!
- -Laurene

             Take a look at the DK Family Learning opportunity!
I've never seen DKFL offer the start-up kit so low twice in one year!!!
Summertime…and the $59.00 Summer Sizzler New Distributor Kit Offer
           http://homepages.go.com/~tinyzoo/DK/DKFL.htm

    * Your new Distributor Kit was already a great deal at $99, and now
it's a Summer Sizzler for just $59! Over a $200 value!
    * Special $59 Kit Offer has been extended to August 5, 2000.

Email me today if you have any questions!  tinyzoo at aracnet.com