SC - Bounced message from non-member subscriber

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jul 20 11:52:41 PDT 2000

> True. You illustrate my point, though. "Full Elizabethan", with its
> arbitrarily attached meaning, appears to be a made-up SCAdian term
> (unless someone like Janet Arnold is responsible; I don't know), which

> makes for difficulties in understanding the distinction between court
> garb and work clothes. Under the circumstances, I think it would be
> quite easy to posit the allegedly mistaken theory that Full
Elizabethan
> work clothes existed.
>
> Adamantius

I believe this is merely an SCAism, stemming from the non-period fact
that
we (mostly) all function as our own servants, and therefore wear a range

of clothing that would probably been unlikely for an historical person.
Add the fact that we like to get the most bang for our buck, and our
more
elaborate clothes tend to be additional layers rather than completely
different garments. This leads to the misleading full (as opposed to
partial) Elizabethan. But Adamantius probably already knows that and is
just teasing us about terminology...

Mirhaxa

  mirhaxa at morktorn.com