SC - Slipping them a period feast

Jeff Heilveil heilveil at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 21 07:13:33 PDT 2000

Jadwiga asked:
"Postulating a group that isn't interested in period food, or has been
turned off period food by bad cooking or 'show-off' cooking. Suppose you
wanted to serve them a feast all of period food-- but not tell them it's
period. ('We have secretly replaced their mundane food with medieval
recipes....')

What would you serve? And what would you CALL the recipes you served?"

This is VERY much the case in my barony.  Even though I pulled off a
period feast that came back empty dished, the success rate of feasts in
this barony sounds limited to my one.  Then again, the baron doesn't
like going to feasts and so strongly discourages (read "places stumbling
blocks...") any sort of feast, period or no.  It doesn't help that we
maybe have enough active members to half staff a kitchen...

While I don't like having to hide period food, I have found times when I
would like to...   So, for my "slip 'em a period feast" feast, I would
serve:
Steaks (Le Managier talks about them)
Turnip au gratin (Armored turnips)
Ravioli (To make ravioli, from Sabina)
Burgers (appetizer of Meat, Platina)
Roullade (There's one that sounds REALLY close in Platina...  one of the
	  meat rolls)
Mac and Cheese (with flat noodles.  like ...  Original in either Plyn
		Delit or Medieval Kitchens)
Falafel (A counterfeit of ...  pg 83 or so in the Miscellany, from
	Andalusion)
Liver Pate'
Spinach tarts (Also from Sabina)
Dumplings (White dish from Platina)
Deviled eggs (To make stuffed eggs.  Ras sent out that one...  it is SO
		GOOD!)
Salad (Salat... weak for a veggies, but I'm blanking at the moment)
Cherry Bread pudding (Chirseye)
Apple-walnut tart (from Ein Bouch von guter Speise)
Spice cookies/shortbread (Fine cakes... I can't remember the original
			source, it's in To the Queen's Taste)
Nut brittle (Hulwa)
Marzipan (Marchpanne)
Date Balls (Hais)
rice pudding (Rys Potage)
Assorted Fruit
Compote
Mead
Beer (Small Beer)
Mulled Wine (Hippocras)
Hard Cider (Ciser)
Hard Pear Cider (Perry)

It's a start anyway....

Cu drag,
Bogdan

Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.		      Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
Department of Entomology	A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
University of Illinois
heilveil at uiuc.edu
office: (217) 244-5115
home: (217) 355-5702
ICQ: 34699710

Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
the best of all possible worlds.
				 -Voltaire, _Candide_