SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2458

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Sun Jul 23 09:43:12 PDT 2000

I'm sending this message both to the list and privately.  I probably should
have sent the last one the same way, but didn't think about it until after
I sent it off without the carbon copy.

At 10:08 PM 7/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:07:48 EDT
>From: CorwynWdwd at aol.com
>Subject: Re: SC - Help - Dangerous Herbs
>
>There's the rub... depending on the individual, most if not all herbs CAN
>cause an abortion... I've heard cautions against, hyssop, oregano, mints,
>cinnamon, ginger, marjoram, pennyroyal... you get the picture.

My Dr. reccomended Candied Ginger to help with Morning Sickness.  I have
never heard of it CAUSING an abortion???  That is a new one.  Pennyroyal
has long been known to be harmful.  I believe it can cause bleeding, which
kills not only the baby, but can kill the mother also.  It would NOT be a
fun thing!!!

>First.. let me say I am in no wise an expert, and mistrust people who use the
>word.

RIGHT!!!  And I should have prefaced my earlier post by mentioning the
same, that I am NOT an expert either!  I just like to study about herbs and
plants, and I have been pregnant three times (and have three wonderful
boys!).  Some much of what I know has been from a need-to-know basis.

>The danger is always in the dosage. I could possibly be wrong, as any person
>could, but I don't know that the amounts used in foods can cause abortions. I
>suppose the principle used should be better safe than sorry, but a little
>caution should go a long way. You might check this site:
>
>http://www.sbherbals.com/AvoidInPregnancy.html
>
>And there are lots more where this came from... I suggest a web search under
>"herbal abortifacients ".
>
>Corwyn

Excellent advice!!!  :)
Please use any and all information with caution!

>In a message dated 7/22/2000 10:48:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:
>
> > Greetings All,
> >   Could someone tell me what herbs cause abortions? I know there is
> >  at least one, but I can't remember the name. I am putting on a small
> >  medieval feast for some friends and one of them is pregnant and I do not
> >  want to cause a miscarriage.
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >  Korrin S. DaArdain
> >  Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

Here is a link to THE BEST Medicinal Herbal that I have ever found.
http://www.dk.com/us/shared/product.asp?ISBN=156458187X

You can browse the complete book online (you can't with ALL the DK books, I
guess I've just gotten lucky referencing the ones on topic here?) to find
any other information you might think is relevant.

This is "The Encyclopedia of Herbs, Spices and Flavorings - a Cooks
Compendium" by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz.  As the title indicates, it is more
related to cooking than to medicinal use, and is arranged quite differently.
http://www.dk.com/us/shared/product.asp?ISBN=1564580652

You can order either of these books online using reference number:
us96659h, to get the Discounts.

Another great book on herbs is "The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices" By
Sarah Garland (if I remember correctly).  I could never find the book for
sale when I had the money, so I check it out from the library quite
often.  I don't know the publisher.

I hope this is of some help to you!  God bless!
- -Laurene