SC - Anise seeds -some toxic, some not!!!

BalthazarBlack at aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 00:52:56 PDT 2000

<< I seem to recall reading that overindulgence in nutmeg was one of the
 things that contributed to the death of musician Charlie Parker. He had
 apparently been eating them while in prison. However, the point is that
 everyday usage, as in, the quantities used to flavor food, rather than
 to replace it, don't have any harmful effect. >>

I would agree with this.  Nutmeg has a very strong, pervasive flavor.  A
little dab will do ya. I don't think anyone has to worry about going out of
their mind after eating something dusted with nutmeg.  Just so long as folks
know that there are some herbs/spices out there which, when taken in
exaggerated quantities, can have deleterious effects on the body....
Echinacea, i believe, is one of them.  If I'm wrong, I know our local
herbalists will be quick to point this out.

Balthazar of Blackmoor