SC - RE:SC Barley

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 25 20:53:36 PDT 2000

Huette writes
was a kid.  It was a sugar-coated puffed barley.  I
adored it as a kid, but my mom would never buy it
because it was sugar-coated.  The only time I ever got
any was when my mom would buy one of those cereal
travel multi-packs. I think it was called Sugar Pops
and had the phrase, "Sugar Pops are tops."  It had a
bear as its logo. <<<<

Senior Moment Alert!  (SMA)  The cereal was Post
"Sugar SMACKS" with a frog as its spokesper.....er...
spokesamphian.  .The puffed grain was definately
still shaped like a barley kernel, bisected lengthwise
with a cleft.   Sugar Pops were round sugared, golden
buttons from who knows what grain origin, but Sugar
Pops with Sugar Bear and Grannie Goodwitch trying
to steal them was 1980's.  Earlier, the cartoon character
Quickdraw Mcgraw (I think) was pushing them and before
that I recall them being around as commercials on Sky King
and Roy Rogers (when I was young and the rocks were
still soft).

I adore barley.  Has anyone got  a good recipe for a
barley soup sort of like Cambell's "Scotch Broth"?  Its
very tasty, but way too frugal on the mutton bits, carrots
and barley to be really satisfying.  Maybe that's the Scotch
part.  It is doubtful that it's Scottish or period, but I would
love to have someone make up a big pot with lots of the
good stuff at Pennsic for lunch one day.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"