SC - Sauce question - subbing for wine

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Jul 26 08:32:11 PDT 2000

I have family that are VERY Christian (and recovering abusers to
boot) and they and their kids won't eat anything with alcohol as
an ingredient, regardless of how much the stuff was boiled.

One answer I have found is freeze dried wine powder, which is
available from some spicers. They don't retain _all_ the flavors of
the alchoholic version, but will work for most sauces and marinades.
and there is no possibility of hitting any SCA or mundane
ingredient restrictions

I believe that < http://www.spicesetc.com >  offers these.
I use the sherry powder myself, in preference to cooking
sherry and I have no complaints.
And it keeps much better than the good stuff. It'll keep fine for
a year or more.

Brandu