SC - Sauce question - subbing for wine

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Tue Jul 25 23:09:22 PDT 2000

Hallo folks. Yes, I'm actually here---terribly busy, but do read once in a
while.

Subbing for wine: I've found that the wines that have the alcohol "gently
removed" work well for sweet sauces and desserts. In particular, there is a
recipe in Sabrina Welserin for a bread pudding with wine that is to die for
with either real Rhine wine (Schwartz Katz)or Rhine wine with alcohol
removed.

I've also tried using "alcohol removed" wines with fruits, and they work
well. You don't get the flavor preservation you might otherwise get, though,
so you might want to think about serving these things fresh.

I can buy "alcohol removed" wines in my back-country grocery store in
Pennsylvania, the most unenlightened alcohol-usage state in the union.
Surely ya'll can as well.

Cheers

Aoife---in a hurry

Brandu wrote:

One answer I have found is freeze dried wine powder, which is
available from some spicers. They don't retain _all_ the flavors of
the alchoholic version, but will work for most sauces and marinades.
and there is no possibility of hitting any SCA or mundane
ingredient restrictions

I believe that < http://www.spicesetc.com >  offers these.
I use the sherry powder myself, in preference to cooking
sherry and I have no complaints.
And it keeps much better than the good stuff. It'll keep fine for
a year or more.

Brandu